Bridge Day has come an gone and we are still hard at work trying to get the place ready for guests. We thought we’d give a status report to bring everyone up to speed:
- Overall Progress – If we had to estimate, we’re probably about 5 weeks behind schedule, but we’re trying to resist the urge to predict another opening date until we are sure we can hit it.
- Quinnimont (Flat 3) is almost completely done except for floor covering and some interior trim work.
- If it weren’t for all of the tools and old doors and frames laying in the way, Nuttall (Flat 1) could be finished with a few day’s work. Right now its bedroom serves as our “bone yard” where we keep all of the old woodwork stored until we are able to reinstall everything in its new home.
- We found that the ceiling in Eddy (Flat 4) had been victimized by many years of condensation that had eaten through the plaster’s wire lathe. This meant that the ceiling had to come down completely. This added an extra couple of days, but will result in a better building. It will also allow us to insulate the attic over this room, which will make it more comfortable and energy efficient. Eddy’s electrical will be finished this week and then we can button up the drywall and begin to finish out the space.
- Flat 2 (Corten) will be the last to get finished. Its bathroom required more changes than any other room in the building and all of the plumbing for Flat 4 runs through its ceiling. The woodwork in this flat also will require a lot of TLC since it was painted over years ago.
- The common areas (stairwells and hallways) are being painted now.
- We still have a few windows waiting to be replaced which represents a couple of day’s work, and some exterior cleaning that we’d like to get done before the weather turns completely sour.
So, as we said, we’re not ready to predict an opening date just yet, but we’re beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.